Berbere Spiced Chickpea Soup
AfricanTake a look
Contains Nuts, Gluten Free, Atkins, Diabetic
1) Blend the yoghurt, onions, garlic and ginger together with 4 tbsp water to form a paste. Set to one side.
2) Heat the wok until very hot and dry-roast the fennel, cumin, fenugreek and coriander seeds for about 30 seconds until the seeds start to pop.
3) Add the vegetable oil, black mustard seeds, turmeric, cayenne and paprika and cook gently.
4) Add the yoghurt paste and fry gently for about ten minutes or until golden, taking care not to burn.
5) Add the muscovado sugar, vinegar, tomato pure and tamarind paste to the fried mixture. You should get a fairly thick consistency – add some water if necessary.
6) Simmer gently for five minutes before adding the prawns and salt to taste.
7) Simmer until heated through – though be careful not to overcook the prawns. Serve hot.