2 onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2cm/1 inch ginger, grated
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 heaped tbsp. Zanzibar curry powder
8 chicken drumsticks
250ml/9floz coconut milk
1 scotch bonnet chilli or 3 fresh green chillies
1 courgette, chopped
1 medium sweet potato, chopped
salt and pepper to season
oil to shallow fry
Thank you very much to Patti Sloley, cookery teacher, author and creator of Patti’s Menu, for sharing this delightful recipe that she has named Chicken Zanzibar.
- Blend the onions, garlic and ginger into a paste and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan on a medium heat add some oil and the mustard seeds
- Once the mustard seeds start to pop, add the blended onion paste and fry.
- When the onion mix is lightly golden, add the Zanzibar curry powder and stir until fragrant.
- Lower the chicken pieces in batches into the pan to coat and brown on both sides.
- Pour in the coconut milk, add the chilli and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetables and a little hot water to the consistency you want.
- Partially cover and simmer until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
Serve with steamed spinach rice.