Almond Icing (Marzipan)
WorldwideTake a look
Your cart is empty.
Considered to be a national dish of South Africa, this spiced minced meat dish topped with egg custard is immensely popular. Feel free to add sliced almonds, dried apricots or grated apple for an even fruitier version!
2 slices of white bread
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1kg of lean minced beef (or lamb)
2 tablespoons South African Curry Powder
2 tablespoons mango chutney
3 tablespoons sultanas
4 Clove Buds
6 Allspice Berries
1 teaspoon dried Mixed Herbs
2 Bay leaves
2 large eggs
1) Heat the oven to 180 C (fan oven 160 C) or Gas Mark 4.
2) Soak the bread slices in a little of the milk.
3) Fry the onions and garlic in the butter until soft and beginning to change colour.
4) Add the minced beef and cook until browned.
5) Add the curry powder, chutney, sultanas, spices, herbs and the bay leaves, then season with salt & pepper.
6) Simmer for ten minutes, then squeeze the milk from the bread (reserve the milk) and mix the bread into the meat mixture ensuring it is combined well.
7) Put the mixture into a greased ovenproof dish and smooth the top.
8) Beat the eggs and milk together, season and pour over the meat mixture.
9) Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the topping is set and golden.
10) Serve with rice coloured with turmeric or salads such as a mixed leaf and apple salad or a tomato salad and chutney.