- Red Lentils - 200g
- Ghee (or Oil) - 4tbsp
- Onions - 2 chopped
- Garlic Cloves - 4 chopped
- Root Ginger, chopped - 5cm
- Dhansak Spice Blend - 4tsp
- Chicken, diced - 4 portions
- Tomatoes, chopped - 400g / 14oz can
- Double Cream - 1tbsp
- Coriander Leaf - 1tbsp, chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Optional: Pineapple chunks - small can: 227g / 8oz
1) Prepare the lentils as specifed.
2) Heat the ghee (or oil) in a heavy frying pan and stir fry the onions until they start to soften.
3) Add the garlic, ginger and Dhansak Spice Blend and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes, then add the chicken and fry until cooked on the outside.
4) Mix in the prepared lentils and gently fry for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes (add a little water if gets too dry).
5) At end of cooking, stir in the cream, coriander & salt to taste (plus pineapple if using). Serve hot with basmati rice (serves 4).