- tomatoes (½ lb)
- green bell peppers
- fresh red chillies
- onion (1 medium, peeled and quartered)
- garlic (2 cloves)
- caraway seeds whole (4 teaspoons)
- salt (half a teaspoon)
- extra virgin olive oil (3 tablespoons)
- lemon juice, freshly squeezed (1 tablespoon)
- black olives (handful)
1. Prepare a hot charcoal fire for 20 minutes or preheat a gas grill on high. Grill the tomatoes, peppers and onion until all have blackened and have blistered peels or black grid marks – about 15 minutes for the smaller peppers and tomatoes and about 20 to 25 minutes for the bell peppers and onion.
2. Peel and seed the grilled vegetables, cut them up and place in a food processor. Process with 4 or 5 short pulses and transfer to a medium-size bowl.
3. Dry roast the caraway seeds before pounding in a pestle and mortar with the garlic and salt. When it’s almost a paste, stir into the grilled vegetables. Arrange on a platter, drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice and garnish with the olives. Great served with pieces of tuna, quartered eggs and/or salad leaves.