- Olive Oil (3tbsp)
- Garlic Cloves (2 chopped)
- Onion (1 chopped)
- Minced Beef (225g / 8oz)
- Sausages (4 sliced)
- Leek (2 thinly sliced)
- Red Pepper (1 deseeded & sliced)
- Celery (2 sticks sliced)
- Okra (100g / 3½oz topped, tailed & diced)
- Thyme (2tsp)
- Basil (2tbsp)
- Cajun Spice Blend (3tsp)
- Long Grain Rice (200g / 7oz)
- Vegetable Stock (600ml / 1 pint)
- Tomatoes (4 chopped (the redder & riper the better))
- Mushrooms (225g / 8oz halved (Chestnut work great))
- Black Pepper (To taste)
- Salt (To taste)
- Tabasco Sauce (To taste)
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the garlic & onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
2) Mix in the mince & sausages and fry until browned. Throw in the leek, red pepper, celery & okra and cook, stirring all the time, until they start to soften.
3) Stir in the thyme, basil & Cajun Spice Blend then add the rice and mix thoroughly. Pour in half the stock plus the tomatoes, cover and cook gently on a low heat for 15 minutes.
4) Stir in the mushrooms, then cook until the rice is tender adding the stock a little at a time as required, about another 5-10 minutes. Season with black pepper, salt & tabasco and serve hot.