Spicy Meatballs and Spaghetti
WorldwideTake a look
Your cart is empty.
George, one of our friends in South Africa, sent his own great potjie recipe to us in Afrikaans. For those non-Afrikaans speakers amongst us, here is the English language translation. Again, thanks to George – how’s that for authenticity!
TIP: Can be cooked on the stove (in bad weather), by using a flat-bottomed pot.
1) Place the oil in the pot and brown the meat.
2) Add the onions & garlic and saute until the onions are transparent.
3) Now add the vegetables – firstly the potatoes, on top of that the carrots, then the cabbage and lastly the butternut squash. (George says: “We usually cook carrots, potatoes, baby cabbages or whole cabbage cut into six and butternuts in pieces”).
4) Then, in a separate bowl, add all the spices and the rest of the ingredients to the boiling water & stock cubed tomato sauce mix (George says: I keep the last bit of tomato sauce in the bottle specially for my potjies… Fill it with the boiling water, and add a stock cube…) and pour over the meat & vegetables. As soon as it starts to boil, add the parsley and cover with the lid. Turn down the heat to simmer for one hour.
5) Serve on rice or mealie meal. Beetroot is a good salad to match the dish. L O V E L Y !!!