- Milk - 50ml / 2 fl oz, warmed
- Saffron Threads - 7 to 8
- Ghee (or oil) - 4tbsp
- Onions - 3 finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves - 4, crushed
- Root Ginger, chopped - 5cm
- Biryani Spice Blend - 4 tsp
- Lamb - 4 portions, diced
- Basmati Rice - 4 portions
- Yogurt - 250ml / 10 fl oz
1) Mix milk and saffron, put aside to infuse.
2) Heat a little ghee (or oil) in a pan and, over low heat, fry one onion until very dark & crispy. Meantime, in another pan, heat remaining oil and stir-fry rest of onions, garlic, ginger and 3tsp Biryani Spice Blend until golden.
3) Stir in the lamb for 2 minutes, put all in a covered casserole dish and in oven at 180ºC / 350ºF / GM 4 for 30 minutes. Meantime cook the basmati rice with remaining Biryani Spices.
4) Remove the lamb mix from the oven, add the yogurt and put all in a separate bowl. In the casserole, put a layer of cooked rice, then a layer of meat and half the saffron milk. Repeat with alternate layers, ending with a rice layer. Add remaining saffron milk, cover and put in oven for 30 mins.
5) Leave to stand for 10 mins, add salt to taste and serve hot with the crispy onion on top (serves 4).