- Cashew Nuts (12)
- Chicken Thighs (8)
- Cinnamon Bark (2" / 5cm piece)
- Clove buds (8)
- Coconut Milk (2 x 400g / 14oz cans)
- Crushed Red Chillies (2tsp)
- Fresh Ginger (2" / 5cm finely chopped)
- Garlic Cloves (8 peeled & chopped)
- Green Peppercorns (2tsp)
- Laos powder (2tsp)
- Onion (2 roughly chopped)
- Red Pepper (2 roughly chopped)
- Sea Salt (To taste)
- Shrimp Paste (½tsp)
- Vegetable Oil (4tbsp)
- White Cumin Seeds (1tsp)
- Water (300ml)
1) Dry-roast the cumin seeds, green peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon bark until aromatic and allow to cool.
2) Place the red pepper, crushed red chillies, ginger, cashewnuts, onion, garlic and shrimp paste into a blender and whizz to make a smooth paste, adding a little water if needed.
3) Grind the dry-roasted spices with the laos powder and add to the paste in the blender. Give it another quick whizz.
4) Open the can of coconut milk carefully, without shaking, and spoon off the cream at the top and set aside.
5) Mix the remaining coconut milk with the water.
6) Heat the oil in a wok. Stir-fry the paste for about six to eight minutes or until it is dark red and has reduced.
7) Add the chicken pieces and salt and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
8) Uncover and increase to a medium heat and cook for a further five minutes.
9) Turn off the heat and spoon off most of the oil which will be floating on top.
10) Stir in the coconut cream, heat through and serve.