- Black Mustard Seeds (½ tsp crushed)
- Cardamom Masala (2 tsp)
- Cauliflower Florets (8)
- Crushed Red Chillies (2 tsp)
- Fresh Coriander (to garnish)
- Garlic Cloves (2 crushed)
- Mooli (225ml / 8oz peeled and thickly sliced)
- Okra (12 top and tailed)
- Onion (1 medium thickly sliced)
- Red Lentils (225g / 8oz)
- Red Pepper (1 deseeded & chopped)
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Tomatoes (4 quartered)
- Turmeric (2 tsp)
- Unrefined Light Muscovado Sugar (2 tsp)
- Vegetable Oil (4 tbsp)
- White Cumin Seeds (½ tsp)
1) Put the lentils and turmeric in a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until the lentils are mushy which should take about 20 minutes. Add a bit more water if needed.
2) Mash up the lentils then add the okra, cauliflower, mooli, onion and muscovado sugar. The consistency should be like a thick soup so again add more water if needed.
3) Mix in the cardamom masala and simmer until the vegetables are tender – about 15 to 20 minutes.
4) Add the tomatoes, red pepper and sea salt, cover and keep warm.
5) For the tempering heat the oil in a frying pan. Add all the spices and garlic and fry until it crackles.
6) Pour the tempering over the lentil curry and serve garnished with coriander.