- Cayenne Pepper (¼tsp)
- Coriander Seeds (2 tsp)
- Garlic (4 cloves)
- Lime Juice (4 tbsp)
- Shallots (8 quartered)
- Sweet Soy Sauce (4 tsbp)
- Vegetable Oil (2 tbsp)
- White Cumin Seeds (2 tsp)
- Shrimp Paste (½" / 1cm piece)
1) Dry roast the white cumin and coriander seeds until darkened and aromatic. Allow to cool, grind and put to one side.
2) Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. Stir fry the shallots and garlic until browned. Add the shrimp paste and brown too.
3) Remove and put in an electric blender. Add 8 tbsp of hot water and blend.
4) Mix the blended paste with the roasted ground spices. Swirl another tablespoon of water around the blender to make sure you get all the paste out.
5) Add the soy sauce, lime juice and cayenne and mix thoroughly.