- Allspice Berries (½tsp ground)
- Cayenne Pepper (1 tsp)
- Crushed Red Chillies (1 tsp, or to taste)
- Mint Dried (1 tsp)
- Fresh Parsley (2tsp, chopped)
- Fresh Tomatoes (2lbs, chopped)
- Garlic Cloves (2 finely chopped)
- Lamb (2lbs, minced)
- Olive Oil (4 tbsp)
- Onion (4 small finely chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- Tunisian Five Spice Powder (4 tsp)
1) In a large bowl mix the minced lamb thoroughly with the Tunisian Five Spice, parsley, mint, about a third of the the chopped onions, allspice, salt and cayenne. Form into balls about 2″ in diameter.
2) Bring a litre of water to the boil. Drop in the lamb meatballs and cook for 15 minutes, turning continuously. Drain the balls on paper towels and place in the fridge.
3) Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the tomatoes, the remaining chopped onions, garlic and red chillies and stir-fry for about ten minutes. Add 200ml of water, cover and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
4) Add the lamb meatballs and cook uncovered for a further 20 minutes. The sauce should be quite thick – though add more water if needed. Serve hot – great with couscous and Harissa.