- Balti Garam Masala (2 tsp)
- Black Cumin Seeds (½ tsp)
- Black Peppercorns (6)
- Cayenne Pepper (1 tsp)
- Chicken Cubed (675g / 1½lb)
- Chopped Fresh Coriander (2 tbsp)
- Chopped Fresh Green Chillies (2)
- Cinnamon Bark (1" / 2.5cm piece)
- Crushed Fresh Root Ginger (2 tsp)
- Garlic Clove (1 crushed)
- Greek Yoghurt (4 tbsp)
- Green Cardamom Pods (4)
- Onions (3)
- Sea Salt (1 tsp)
- Single Cream (120 ml / 4 fl oz)
- Almonds, Ground (1 tbsp)
- Oil (4 tbsp)
1) Dry-roast the cinnamon, cardamoms and black peppercorns over a medium to high heat, adding the black cumin seeds towards the end. Allow to cool.
2) Mix the yoghurt with the Balti Garam Masala, ground almonds, garlic, ginger, cayenne chilli, sea salt plus the dry-roasted whole spices. Thoroughly mix in and coat the chicken pieces, cover and leave to marinate for at least a couple of hours.
3) Heat the oil in a karahi balti pan (or large frying pan / wok) and stir-fry the onions for 2-3 minutes. Throw in the marinated chicken mix, give a good stir and cook on a medium heat until the chicken is cooked and the sauce thickened, up to about 15 minutes.
4) Mix in the chopped green chillies and coriander and pour in the cream. Keep stirring, bring just to the boil and serve.