- chicken (4 portions, washed, skinned and diced)
- onion (2 medium)
- coconut, grated (4oz / 100g)
- garlic (3 cloves)
- groundnut oil (2 tbspn)
- tamarind paste (2 heaped tablespoons)
- Goan Xacuti Curry Powder (7tsp)
- Hot chicken or vegetable stock (one pint / 500 ml)
- seasoning (to taste)
- lime juice (a squeeze to serve)
1) Heat half of the oil and brown the coconut & garlic, stirring occasionally as it browns very quickly!
2) Heat the remaining oil in a thick bottomed pan, add the onions and fry for a minute or two before adding the chicken pieces. Fry for a few minutes, until the chicken begins to change colour.
3) Add the browned coconut & garlic followed by the Goan Xacuti curry powder & some seasoning, stir well.
4) Add the hot stock & tamarind paste, stir well. Once the mixture has reached simmering point, cover & cook for one hour on a very gentle heat.
5) Squeeze with lime juice before serving hot with basmati rice or Indian breads.
Tip: Try using crab instead of chicken for an alternative dish.