- Anise Seeds (1 tsp)
- Bay Leaves (2)
- Black Beans (450g / 1lb)
- Carrots (2 chopped)
- Celery Stalks (2 chopped (leafy tops 'n' all!))
- Fresh Coriander (2 tbsp chopped)
- Fresh Ginger (2 tbsp, grated)
- Garlic Cloves (3 chopped)
- Olive Oil (3 tbsp)
- Onion (1, finely chopped)
- Oregano (2 tsp)
- White Cumin Seeds (1 tsp)
- Chicken Stock (1.7 litres / 3 pints)
- Chipotle Chillies (2 tsp)
- Salt & Pepper (To taste)
- Allspice Berries (4)
1) Heat a heavy frying pan and dry-roast the anise and cumin seeds until crackling and aromatic. Allow to cool and grind.
2) In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and stir fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until golden.
3) Add the carrots, celery, ginger, coriander, bay leaves, oregano and dry-roasted ground cumin & anise – cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
4) Pour in the stock, black beans, chipotle chillies and salt & pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer partly covered for up to 2 hours until the beans are tender.
5) Allow to cool slightly, puree in a food processor then reheat & serve hot.
TIP: For a vegetarian / vegan option, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock