- dry sherry (3 tablespoons)
- soy sauce (2 tablespoons)
- chicken or bean curd (tofu) (4 pieces of chicken, cubed or 2 x 250g packs of tofu, cubed)
- flour (to coat the cubes)
- sesame oil
- sesame oil (2 tablespoons)
- red chillies, crushed (½ teaspoon)
- sichuan pepper (½ teaspoon, ground/crushed)
- citrus peel, grated (1 tablespoon)
- vinegar (1 tablespoon)
- chicken or vegetable stock (8 floz)
1) Mix together the sherry and soy sauce. Pour over the chicken or bean curd and leave to marinade – at least 15 minutes but the longer the better.
2) Toss the marinated chicken or bean curd in the flour and put any remaining marinade to one side.
3) Heat the oil in a wok and when it’s very hot, stir fry the cubes until brown. It might be better to do this batches if you’re cooking for a lot of people.
4) Then add the chilli flakes, sichuan pepper and citrus peel to the wok. Stir fry for a minute or so before adding the vinegar, remaining marinade and stock.
5) Continue to cook over a high heat until most of the liquid has evaporated. Serve hot with rice or noodles.