Mediterranean, WorldwideTake a look
Your cart is empty.
Contains Nuts, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Diabetic, Low Fat, Coeliacs
1) Pre-heat the oven (230C / 450F / Gas Mark 8). Roast the ginger and onion in the oven for about 30 minutes until brown.
2) Mix the ginger and onions with the stock, cinnamon and anise seeds in a pan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Strain and reserve the stock.
3) Meantime, mix the chicken strips, fish sauce, unrefined sugar and green peppercorns in a bowl and leave for 30 minutes to marinade.
4) Put the noodles in warm water and leave to soak until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain.
5) Mix the marinated chicken with 120ml / 4 fl oz of the reserved stock in a pan and simmer very gently, stirring continuously, until the chicken is white all the way through. Turn off the heat.
6) Bring a large pan of water to a violent boil. Drop in the noodles and cook until just tender, which may be less than a minute (test by biting one.) Drain in a colander and run cold water over to refresh.
7) Divide the noodles between four bowls. Remove the chicken from its poaching liquid and arrange over the noodles. Scatter the spring onions, birds eye chillies, coriander & mint over the chicken then ladle in the stock. Serve with lime wedges.
8) For a vegetarian/vegan alternative, omit the fish sauce and replace the chicken with tofu and use good quality vegetable stock.