- Olive Oil (1 tablespoon)
- Large onion, chopped (One)
- Garlic, crushed (4 cloves)
- Celery (2 sticks, diced)
- Carrot (1 large, diced)
- Red peppers (2, diced)
- Passata (700ml carton or jar)
- Cannellini Beans (2 tins, rinsed & drained)
- Salt & Pepper (To taste)
- Cumin, roast & ground (1 teaspoon)
- Coriander, roast & ground (1 teaspoon)
- Turmeric, ground (2 teaspoons)
- Basil, dried (1 teaspoon)
- Red chillies, crushed (1 - 2 teaspoons)
This recipe makes a batch that ideally serves six people, but leftovers can be frozen if you are catering for less people. If you prefer you can use tinned chopped tomatoes instead of passata.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then add the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, basil and chilli. Cook for a few minutes until the onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
Add the celery, carrot and red peppers and cook for a further few minutes until they are soft, stirring occasionally.
Add the passata, stir and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook gently for 30 minutes, then stir in the beans, cook for 5 more minutes, season to taste and serve.
This is delicious served on Bonfire night with jacket potatoes, or with nachos, tacos and burritos, although it is equally great as a side dish to many meals.