- Cayenne Pepper (½tsp)
- Coriander Seeds (1tsp)
- Fennel Seeds (½tsp)
- Fenugreek Seeds (½tsp)
- Fresh Ginger Root (2½cm chopped)
- Garlic Cloves (2 sliced)
- Light Muscavado Sugar (2tbsp)
- Natural Yoghurt (3tbsp)
- Paprika (2tsp)
- Peeled Prawns (a handful per person)
- Salt (to taste)
- Tamarind Paste (2tsp)
- Tomato Purée (1tbsp)
- Turmeric (½tsp)
- Vegetable Oil (2tbsp)
- White Cumin Seeds (1tsp)
- White Wine Vinegar (1tbsp)
- black mustard seeds (1tsp)
- Onions (1 small)
1) Blend the yoghurt, onions, garlic and ginger together with 4 tbsp water to form a paste. Set to one side.
2) Heat the wok until very hot and dry-roast the fennel, cumin, fenugreek and coriander seeds for about 30 seconds until the seeds start to pop.
3) Add the vegetable oil, black mustard seeds, turmeric, cayenne and paprika and cook gently.
4) Add the yoghurt paste and fry gently for about ten minutes or until golden, taking care not to burn.
5) Add the muscovado sugar, vinegar, tomato pure and tamarind paste to the fried mixture. You should get a fairly thick consistency – add some water if necessary.
6) Simmer gently for five minutes before adding the prawns and salt to taste.
7) Simmer until heated through – though be careful not to overcook the prawns. Serve hot.
Share this recipe
BUY THIS RECIPES INGREDIENTS
Cayenne Pepper£1.75 Add to cart
Coriander Seeds, Whole£1.30 Add to cart
Cumin Seeds White, Whole£1.40 Add to cart
Fennel Seeds, Whole£1.40 Add to cart
Fenugreek Seeds, Whole£1.40 Add to cart
Mustard Seeds Brown, Whole£1.40 Add to cart
Paprika, Hungarian£2.30 Add to cart
Tamarind Paste£2.50 Read more
Turmeric Root, Ground£1.65 Add to cart